I have finally finished my roman shade for the office. It is only one window, so some might think that I could whip that out in a weekend, but no such luck...
I found the material at 'JoAnn Fabrics', it is the perfect amount of navy with a pattern that is not to wild and crazy. I purchased all that was left on the bolt, which was just under two yards for $13.78 (on sale for $6.99/yrd).
My window is 33"W X 53"L.
Determine the size of the shade by adding 4" to the width of your window and 8 1/2" to the length. Cut both your fabric and the lining to these measurements.
Lay fabric face down and fold and pin 2" hems on all sides. If you have patience, unlike me, it helps to iron the hems to keep them crisp and flat. Stitch all sides.
The lining will be the same, except you will hem this 2 3/8" on all sides.
Once complete, lay the lining on the shade, wrong sides together. I pinned together, making sure fabric is even on all sides. Then slowly stitch on all four sides.
Determine the positions for the dowel pockets, and mark them on the back of the shade with disappearing ink. Pockets need to be evenly spaced intervals. To determine position of bottom pocket, divide size of intervals by 2, and add 1.
I used 10" intervals, so my bottom pocket was at 6". Then, every 10" I placed another line. Leave at least 10" from the top.
Sew strips out of the remaining lining. Fold in half lengthwise, wrong size together, and stitch all three sides with double hem.
With the size of my window and my 10" intervals, I needed five pockets.
Pin each strip on the line that was drawn on the lining; machine stitch. Insert dowel into each pocket.
At this point your shade is almost complete.
The next step is sewing on the rings for the string. This is the most tedious step, because you have to hand sew the rings. Three rings on each pocket. 3 x 5= 15 OH MY!!!
I measured 2" in on both the left and right sides for the rings and then straight down the middle.
Now we have to hang this thing up!
Staple the fabric to your pre-cut wood, making sure it is straight from end to end.
Soooo, I can not tell a lie....
I kinda messed up at this point. As my dad drilled the wood into window, I remembered I needed to add three eye screws to the wood. This is to guide the string and lift the shade. DUH
I just added these after it was already hung. Quick fix, but hard to get a photo of this.
I followed these easy steps from my favorite girl, Martha Stewart, to make this shade.
Next up, I need to fill this space. I'll keep you posted!